Image Credit: St Leonards School 1896
The University of Bedfordshire has kindly agreed to develop and curate a new Levick Boyd Archive for Women’s Lacrosse (LBA), named after the Lacrosse Association founder, Audrey Levick, and Margaret Boyd who sustained the game through the second World War years. It will be nested inside the PE archive and managed by the University Library. New media offer us the opportunity to save our living history for others to cherish and study.
Early items of interest in the LBA include films of the first ever tour to the USA in the 1930s, showing the old square crease and scenes of Baltimore, New York and Philadelphia. Others depict hilarious examples of stickwork in the 1930s! The work on cataloguing the LBA materials is being done by professional archivist Karen Davies with some voluntary time from myself. English Lacrosse have signed an agreement with the University to lodge the historical AEWLA records from the women’s game in the LBA but there are gaps in these papers that we are seeking to fill. The University has also gained agreement from the University of Birmingham to transfer the Levick Papers that they held.
Our plan is to:
- develop the archive into a living history of the game that will endure as a record of its social and sporting heritage;
- undertake an analysis of missing documents and seek copies from past players and supporters;
- extend and catalogue the collection;
- fundraise to support the admin and research costs of this work;
- edit the film material (volunteers with IT and editing skills please step forward);
- prepare an exhibition to display at the 2017 FIL Rathbones Womens World Cup at Surrey Sports Park, Guildford;
- support research by schoolchildren, students and visiting scholars who have an interest in the history of the women’s game.
We welcome items from former players, coaches and administrators of any materials or memorabilia associated with women’s lacrosse, including:
- committee papers, minutes and reports
- photos, films, audiotapes, videotapes, CDs and DVDs
- magazines, scrapbooks, team programmes and lists
- badges, items of uniform or equipment
- any other personal items and/or recollections
For space reasons, please try to limit any items to fit boxes of these dimensions: 29cm wide x 11cm deep x 43cm long. Also, before sending anything, kindly check with email@example.com that she does not already hold duplicates of your items. It would be helpful if you would include a list of the items, noting the provenance of each if possible, and identifying who, if anyone, owns the copyright. Packages (no clips, pins or plastic sleeves please) should be mailed to: Karen Davies, BPE Archive, University of Bedfordshire, Polhill Avenue, Bedford, Beds, MK41 9EA. You are welcome to visit the LBA by appointment.
Finally, we also welcome financial donations. These should be made by cheque, payable to ‘BPEOSA’, with a note attached to explain that it is for LBA. You will be sent a receipt.
Thanks for your interest in this exciting new venture.
Celia Brackenridge OBE (South and England 1968-82)