Sherborne Girls celebrated a centenary of competitive lacrosse on Sunday and the Sherborne 1st XII played special fixtures against Old Girls, Bristol University and Bristol Bombers, while Sherborne Girls U12, U13, U14 and U15 played matches against Claremont and Milton Abbey Schools.
The history of the sport at the School actually dates back to 1910, but it was in March 1913 that the Girls played their first match away, as reported in the School Magazine “at the Godolphin School in Salisbury on Saturday March 1st”, when the School 1st XII were defeated by 8 goals to 2. The popularity and success of the game was then to vary in the following years, but it was the appointment of a new coach in 1966 which transformed the sport at Sherborne. Miss Caro Macintosh was to coach the School to several victories in her 24 year ‘reign’; the School lacrosse teams were outstanding in 1973, 1978, 1986 and 1990, winning the All-England Nationals Schools’ tournaments in London and latterly Milton Keynes. Miss Macintosh retains her place today in the Guinness Book of Records with 52 lacrosse caps for Scotland and four for Great Britain.
Download images and news snippets of Sherborne through the ages: HERE