A report compiled by the Sport Industry Research Centre (SIRC) at Sheffield Hallam University on behalf of the Chief Executives Officers Forum (CEO Forum) has found the NGBs remain at the heart of community sport.
Lacrosse has been delighted to be one of the 39 National Governing Bodies of Sport who have come together for the first time to promote their significant role, reach and impact in helping to deliver sport in England. Mark Coups CEO EL
English Lacrosse is one of the 39 participating NGBs in this study, the first of its kind. The results promote the significant role, reach and impact NGBs have in delivering sport in England. All information reported relates to 2014.
- Over 1.8 million people belong to sports clubs [over 1 million more than the total membership of all UK political parties]
- There are over 1.9 million NGB linked volunteers [more than the entire NHS workforce]
- NGB linked volunteering was worth £4.9 billion
- Almost 3 million sports competitions took place in England
- Over 50,000 NGB affiliated clubs exist across England
- 3 million people did at least 30 minutes of sport every week [up by almost around 900,000 since 2005/06
- 317 major events were held in England
- 169 positions were held in international sports administration
Mark Coups English Lacrosse Chief Executive stated, “Lacrosse has been able to contribute and fully support the creation of a report which celebrates the amazing commitment, energy and passion of the unsung sports volunteers who, week in, week out, invest their time into creating and developing opportunities for thousands of people of all ages and abilities to take part in sport in local communities and on behalf of English Lacrosse we want to say a huge thank you to all our Lacrosse volunteers who contribute to this vital national work.”
Read the full report: State Of Play
Read the Press Release: CEO Forum Press Release