Eight in a squad, 5 on pitch. Teams must be mixed: 4 boys and 4 girls with 2 boys and 2 girls on pitch at all times. Dispensation only for single-sex schools. Teams are NOT allowed to bring reserves. Any team with more that the requisite number of boys/girls a stated above will be disqualified.
Goals: 3’ x 3’ square cage with net.
Plastic POP-lacrosse sticks of any make, with or without bar.
5 sticks only per team may be taken onto the court area at any
PoP-lacrosse plastic ball.
• Approximately 4 badminton court size – indoor/outdoor, hard or grass
• A centre mark
• 2 goal creases (circles) of 2m radius
• A goal line in each goal crease
• 5 m semi- circular arc around goal area
START OF PLAY
The game is started with a pass from the centre. The player with the ball must pass to another whilst keeping at least one foot on the line, all others to be 3m away. Centre passes alternate no matter who scores the goal.
Indoors – play rebound whenever possible. Outdoors – no boundary, the official decides area of play. Play to be as continuous as possible. When ball does go ‘out of bounds’ or becomes trapped (e.g. In gym equipment) nearest player gets possession with all others 1m away. All players brought in 1m from boundary.
All play is started and stopped by the sound of a whistle (No ‘stand’ rule applies).
This is taken when a simultaneous foul occurs or players are equidistant from a boundary. The two opponents will be placed 1m apart facing each other. Officials simultaneously blows whistle and toss short underarm throw, shoulder height between the players, play continues.
Shooting ball with stick so that it passes wholly over the goal line scores a goal. ‘Own goals’ can be scored if the ball comes off the defender’s stick or body. Goals may only be scored from the attacking half of the pitch. Dangerous shooting through will be penalised. No player may enter the goal crease but may reach in with the stick to recover the ball.
‘On the fly’ providing that: there shall be only 5 sticks for field players and these to be exchanged as the players change over (see sticks): players must go on and off the field through ‘gate’ marked with two cones at centre line; players not on pitch shall be seated on team bench and must not stand to go on to pitch until handed a stick.
• No stick or body contact
• No intentional ball off body
• No dangerous propelling (passing or shooting through or ‘blind’)
• No dangerous follow through with stick (following pass/shot)
• No entry into goal crease
• No trapping/guarding ball (but momentary ‘rake’ is allowed)
• Maximum 4 second possession of the ball by a player (which cannot be increased by throwing/rolling to oneself)
• No defending goal by standing in the 5m space in front of goal (except it a sticks length away from an attacking opponent)
PENALTY FOR FOULS
• Free position to nearest opponent
• Offender is placed 3m behind player
• All others 3m away
• Fouls inside the 5m are taken on the arc on the plane of the goal extended
Throughout play the official’s discretion may be used to award penalties for dangerous play or unacceptable behaviour. A player may be sent off as a last resort. The rules are there to protect players and keep the game as continuous as possible. Unintentional fouls which do not give the offender or his/her team an advantage should result in a ‘held’ whistle whenever possible (official can call ‘advantage’). Excessive use of whistle discouraged except to keep play safe and according to the rules.
• Officials should ensure short, sharp single blow of whistle to both start and stop game. A longer whistle indicates a goal
• Clear, short explanations of foul (e.g. ‘stick contact, yellow ball’), indicating with arm team in possession by pointing towards the goal they are attacking.
• It is helpful to call out loud the 4 seconds, remembering to leave a second’s time length before calling ‘1’ on possession.
TIED GAME SITUATION
If a game is tied during semi finals and finals 2 minutes over time will be played, should the game still be tied another 2 minutes will be played. If this results in the game still being tied sudden death will come into play. Teams will continue to play 2 minute periods until 1 team scores.
If teams are tied on points during the round robin stages places will be awarded based on GD (Goals for – Goals Against = GD).