North Women’s League 17/18 Season underway

Get the round-up of all the opening games in the North Women’s League from the weekend

Heaton Mersey 7 – 8 Brooklands

Heaton Mersey got off to a strong start with three goals in the first 10 minutes with excellent play by both returning players and new juniors coming forward to the ladies team.

Brooklands were a little rusty to begin with and failed to finish periods of possession with a goal. Lydia Hewitt dominated the draw, giving Brooklands an advantage with possession but Mersey fought for and won back possession frequently.

Mersey’s Grace Woosey showed some excellent potential with some confident midfield transitions and the game was very evenly matched with strong play from both teams taking the half-time score to 4-4.

Janika Macmillan quickly made Brooklands one up with a quick goal at the beginning of the second half.

Both goal keepers played exceptionally, making excellent saves and kept the score line much lower than it could have been.

Brooklands had a very strong final quarter and came back to take the lead with the winning goal coming from Kate Walker with three minutes to go. The final score was 8-7.

Emilie Chandler was named MVP for Brooklands for her outstanding performance in goal and special mention to Dani Froldi who fought hard at both ends of the pitch for Brooklands

Megan McGurk, Georgie Snowden and Kerrie Lawler also all made their Brooklands debuts, played very well and fitted in well with the rest of the team.

MVP for Heaton Mersey was Alexa George, top goal scorer was Charlotte Cooke with other goals coming from Fiona Graham and Jenny Scott.

Liverpool 2 – 17 Stockport

Both teams started with energy and enthusiasm, excited for the first game of the new season.

Stockport scored first, but Liverpool immediately got a goal to even the score.

For the remainder of the first half, Stockport repeatedly broke down the Liverpool attack, turning the ball over, and their formidable midfield meant their fast breaks ended in multiple goals, leading 1-9 at half-time.

The second half saw Liverpool’s defence up the ante and apply more pressure, however Stockport upped their game too. They won the draws, had some excellent ball movement and converted in the attack with some great goals by Ellie Gosnay, Holly Deacon and Chloe Dodd.

Liverpool managed to put one more goal away before the final whistle, leaving the final score at 2-17 to Stockport.

Liverpool’s MVP was Katherine Hughes in goal, with creditable mentions for Lucy Hopkisson who was solid in defence and Ashley Bruen who showed exceptional work rate throughout.

Stockport’s MVPs were their new recruit Cora Delfini who proved both steady in defence and a threat in attack with three goals during the game, and Ellie Gosnay who worked tirelessly in attack scoring eight.

Norbury 2 – 15 Timperley

Timperley were delighted to welcome Norbury to the league, everyone was very welcoming and it was great to see both teams in such high spirits for the start of the season.

Norbury had a couple of hiccups prior to the game, losing their goalkeeper and umpire, but got underway against a well drilled Timperley team.

Timperley dominated from the off with strong centre draws and quick ball movement.

Norbury struggled to keep pace with the speed of play and Timperley were six goals up before Norbury started to settle, playing some solid defence and breaking to score a goal just before half time.

During the second half, Timperley retained possession well and made a few positional changes, reflecting their dominance and their lead.

Norbury continued to grow and scored again, playing much better defence and retaining the ball more consistently in attack the match finishing 15-2 Timperley.

Norbury has a promising squad that will benefit immensely from this first season in the league.

Timperley named Elise Humblet as MVP on her début with the seniors for her dominance in attack and midfield which showed maturity beyond her years.

Mellor 5 – 19 Oxton

On a perfect day for lacrosse, after the early moments of the game the score read 1-1 and Mellor knew they would be in for a good game.

Oxton’s quick transition led to them winning the first half 8-3.

Then heading into the second half Mellor had a struggle with fitness and playing 10 a side on a big pitch. They still defended well and in a man down situation due to a yellow card.

It was a good game and everyone played well with Oxton finishing 19-5.