Sam’s first international lacrosse experience was given to him by Skip Flanagan in the run up to the U19 World Championships in 2008. Coach Flanagan took Sam to Western Reserve (a high school in Ohio) for the 2008 season. After this experience Sam captained the U19 England team, under head coach Tom Wenham in the 2008 U19 World Championships in Vancouver, Canada. Following completion of the championships, Sam then enrolled in Whittier College, an American college based in east L.A.
Sam then became a mainstay in the England senior squad, winning gold at both the 2012 & 2016 European Championships as well as being selected for both the 2010 & 2014 World Championships.
– 2008 U19 World Championships (Vancouver, Canada) (Captain)
– 2010 World Championships (Manchester, England)
– GOLD – 2012 European Championships (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
– 2014 World Championships (Denver, USA) (Captain)
– GOLD – 2016 European Championships (Budapest, Hungary)
Club, County and College Experience
Poynton Men’s Lacrosse; 2002-2014, Cheshire Lacrosse; U16 & U19, Western Reserve Academy; 2008 and Whittier College; 2008-2012
Awards & Acknowledgements
– 2008 Joint Winner of the Jack Wilkinson Achievement Award (Poynton Lacrosse Club)
– 2008 MCLA finalist Western Reserve Academy
– 2012 Whittier College Male Athlete of the Year
– 2012 All-American (DIII, Honourable Mention)
– 2012 Academic All-American
Getting to know Sam…
Q: At what age did you begin to play lacrosse?
Q: What’s your proudest Lacrosse moment?
A: Scoring the game winner against the Australians in the U19 World Championships 2008
Q: Do you have any pre-game rituals/superstitions?
Q: What’s your “Weapon of Choice”?
A: Any stick that throws well
Q: What is your favourite quote?
A: Work to live, don’t live to work
Q: What is your favourite food (s)?
A: CHIPOTLE!!! Christie’s cookie and big Jude’s lasagne
Q: What is your favourite music/band (s)?
A: Tanya Stevens/Oasis/OAR/Gangstarr
Q: Who is your favourite sports hero (s)?
A: Dave Elwood
Q: What is your favourite movie (s)?
A: Snatch, American Gangster, The Departed
Q: What is your favourite TV show (s)?
A: Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, The Wire